Corporate Science Fellow, Process Technology
I am currently working on...
Fermentation scale-up. In addition to the industry’s traditional trial-and-error approach, we’re advancing the field with a more rational, high-precision method based on computation and scale-down experiments. We’re doing this through public-private partnerships involving DSM and various companies, and technical universities in Delft, Stuttgart, Liege and Shanghai – supported by national science foundations. Together, we can work at the forefront of science, while ensuring that any developments are directly applicable within the industry.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is...
Being able to turn bio-process dreams into reality. I’m also passionate about bridging the gaps: between lab-scale RT&D and industrial operations for instance, or between fundamental and applied science, or experts and talents. I’m also excited about bridging spaces between competences in the bioprocess value chain, from upstream processing, microbiology and fermentation to downstream processing, product formulation and application.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is...
Acceleration of the bio-economy through the launch of new bio-refineries that efficiently convert renewable energy and feedstock into bio-products, replacing fossil-based products. I also envision sustainability metrics taken into full account in decisions that affect economy, ecology and society.
Key areas of expertise
- Industrial fermentation
- Integrated bioprocess design
- Industrial bio-separations
- Strain performance testing
- Biomass pre-treatment
- Industrial hygiene
- Applied genomics and microbial physiology
- Bio-product formulation
- Sustainability assessment
- Project management
- Science management
- Resource management
- M.Sc., Chemical Engineering, Groningen University (the Netherlands)
- Ph.D., Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands)
I represent DSM externally at
- Technical University Delft – Honorary professor in Bioprocess Design and Integration
- BE-BASIC Foundation Project Coordinator
- Biotech Delft Advanced Courses Bioprocess Design and Multiscale Methods Course Leader
- ESBES Scientific Committee Member of the Bioprocess Engineering Course
- East China University of Science and Technology (ECUST) Bioprocess Engineering Course Leader
- Biotech Campus Delft Steering Committee
Delft, the Netherlands